Primobius GmbH is an incorporated joint venture between Australian Securities Exchange listed company Neometals Ltd (ASX:NMT) and private German plant manufacturer, SMS group, to commercialise an efficient, environmentally-friendly recycling solution for end-of-life and scrap lithium-ion-battery (LIB) cells. Primobius has developed the process to use finite resources more efficiently and create a battery/EV circular economy based on ethical supply and reduced carbon footprint.
Primobius promotes making the most of global raw material resources by only using the resources we need while minimising waste and greenhouse gases and. Primobius offers a unique method to recover cobalt, nickel, lithium, copper, manganese and a range of lower value materials into saleable products. In so doing Primobius:
- Reduces unsafe handling and disposal of flammable and hazardous materials
- Increases LIB collection and recycling rates
- Increases materials recycling recovery rates and diverts materials away from large environmental footprint smelting
- Returns valuable materials to the circular economy to the benefit of domestic raw material supply resilience
- Reduces whole of life emissions associated with LIB manufacturing to reduce the embedded carbon footprint for the car manufacturing supply chain
Neometals innovatively develops opportunities in minerals and advanced materials essential for a sustainable future. With a focus on the energy storage megatrend, the strategy revolves around de-risking and developing long life projects with strong partners and integrating down the value chain to increase margins and return value to shareholders.
As a company, SMS group assumes responsibility and helps to turn megatrends into reality. We always think one step ahead when it comes to creative solutions that help meet the global challenges of the future. This is one way we ensure we are the “Leading Partner in the World of Metals”.
- Safety focus: The Primobius flowsheet has been designed to surpass regulatory safety expectations. The process can safely shred individual cells without requiring prior discharge by deploying its layered built-in safety systems.
- Environmentally friendly: In contrast to pyrometallurgical processes that are currently the commonly-used recycling operations, our technology generates less CO2, less effluent and requires less transportation of hazardous wastes.
- Ethically-sourced high purity products: Production of high-purity chemicals (not intermediates) that are suitable for re-supply to cathode makers. By closing this supply chain loop, Primobius reduces need for new mined material and is closely aligned with the intent and objectives of new EU battery regulations.
- Flexible business model and technology: Primobius’ process can treat multiple battery chemistries, battery formats and types. Primobius is prepared to deliver its recycling solution in a number of business and partnering models so that it can adapt to the varying needs of partners and regions.
- Industrialisation pedigree: The complementary skillsets and resources of Primobius partners give Primobius depth of resources, process know-how and capability to industrialise the solution globally and on the scale that will be needed for large OEMs to service their future stewardship obligations.
One of the Primobius key business model points of differentiation relates to the way Primobius intends to engage and work with partners. Primobius offers original equipment manufacturers a fully integrated solution for recycling with certainty that regulatory and stakeholder commitments will be reliably and safely acquitted for the long term.
Primobius is developing a variety of business models for deployment of its operations to satisfy a variety of regional and corporate needs. These models address the differing needs of the main sectors associated with battery production and its applications and are designed to allow partners to dictate the shape of the relationship. Where relevant, partners could participate in sharing the operating economics of recycling their scrap batteries and producing new battery materials . This model is complemented with more traditional revenue models for Primobius: